Followers

Saturday, February 8, 2020

5 Stars for Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology

Everyone should read this. Neil Gaiman certainly did not inhale the fumes of Odin's odious fart. This is a spoiler I will not spoil.  He was certainly blessed with the gift of retelling a story and reinventing his own. I loved his retelling of Norse Mythology. His voice carried the harsh tempos of the tragic moments, but also humor in the more flute-like places. I began this book with Marvel knowledge and came away feeling a bit like a mythology historian. Neil Gaiman can do that for a person. I also began this book as a respect towards my dad, who found a hero in Thor, also Conan the Barbarian, but that's another story. For me, Loki is certainly my favorite, and I was happy to discover his tale did not disappoint. Gaiman should seriously think about a story that involves both Othello's Iago and Loki in a modern world setting. They could pour poison into the ear of great leaders turning the world into what it is not. And who to save the world but a child not yet born, one of a new birth out of the death of the old one. Everyone should read this! Seriously, I might listen to it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment