Followers

Sunday, July 7, 2024

5 Stars for Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor


Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor takes some warming up. I read this years ago in my early thirties. At that time, I didn't like this book much, but I loved O'Connor's short stories. My favorite of those being The Lame Shall Enter First. It was a bit of a salvation for me considering I was someone who always wanted kids. I hope it has made me a better mom. That's the kind of substance, deep stuff you come away with after reading a Flannery O'Connor short story. She's all about redemption which is attributed to her being a devout Catholic. These characters are not dripping in sin so much as a loss of faith. Hazel Motes, the main character, in Wise Blood is so faithless he denounces Christ by announcing he does not exist and that it is only truth that is important. His journey towards salvation lead to meeting interesting well-illustrated characters all on their own journey towards salvation or having obtained salvation. It is a treacherous path for them all, and darker than dark that led me to wonder if Hazel Motes really got saved. I'm glad I read this again in my fifties where I'm too always looking towards salvation. I highly recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment