Followers

Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Four Stars for Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons

Throwing an original twist on the vampire story and making it bloody stick takes more than fangs. Dan Simmons is original with Carrion Comfort. His story expands the original Dracula's mind control and takes it to a whole new level through some pretty nasty monsters hungry for destruction and power. The victims are left with only wit, hope and some darn good reasons for revenge. My favorite character and victim was Saul. The book was incredibly lengthy, and often rolled around in the details of what felt like an explosive Hollywood movie loaded with bullets flying, helicopters, and clipped dialogue. Those scenes often distracted me from the real story. This is where my rating went to a four; however, because of Saul I read until the end. I was thoroughly invested in him as the book's hero. Further, I love a great vampire story written well. Great vampire stories...

John Ajvide Lindqvist - Let the Right One In
Anne Rice - Interview with a Vampire
and now Carrion Comfort.

Let the Right One In is still my favorite, but the other two are tough contenders.
I highly recommend Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons

No comments:

Post a Comment