Followers

Tuesday, July 3, 2018

5 Stars for Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (The Wicked Years, #1) by Gregory Maguire,

Summary: 

When Dorothy triumphed over the Wicked Witch of the West in L. Frank Baum's classic tale we heard only her side of the story. But what about her arch-nemesis, the mysterious Witch? Where did she come from? How did she become so wicked? And what is the true nature of evil?

Review:
I picked this book up to read for purely sentimental reasons. My Grannie and I watched Frank Baum’s classic tale The Wizard of Oz, every year, beginning with the black and white version until it was colorized. Grannie’s favorite character was Dorothy. Dorothy symbolized purity and innocence, necessary ingredients for a young coming-of-age, girl. Both of us loathed The Wicked Witch of the West, who embodied evil in a humorous cookie-cut style, with lines like: “I’ll get you my pretty, and your little dog, too.”
After years of growing with the understanding the Wicked Witch of the West defined evil, I was reluctant to change this viewpoint, but change it, I did. Gregory Maguire made me sympathize with The Wicked Witch, adding respect to her nasty sardonic side making her intelligent and intriguing. I begin to see her as Elphaba, which is her birth name.
Elphaba begins cursed, green, and with sharp little teeth. She’s a monster, her mother hates her, and her father loves her sister, Nessarose more. This is where my opinion changes, and I see The Wicked Witch as Elphaba, a real person who wishes to be loved. Later, this human need explodes to encompass Elphaba’s virtuous need to protect animals who are not even considered second rate citizens in the land of Oz. Adding to Elphaba’s virtuous character is the fact she doesn’t lie. 
“To the best of her recollection she had never lied before in her life.” Elphaba
The reader discovers Elphaba isn’t evil, more misunderstood, and what makes her character dynamic and round is her own soulful journey towards self-understanding. In this journey we see our so-called witch bullied as a child, falling in love as an adult, seeking redemption for the affair, stumbling through mother hood, grieving the loss of her sister and friends, and making attempts at acceptance into society’s role to condemn her as a witch. Oddly enough, the Wizard doesn’t really consider Elphaba a witch.
“’Sir,’ she said, ‘I think you are a very bad wizard.”
“’And you,’ he answered, stung, ‘are only a caricature of a witch.’”
Elphaba, a mere caricature of a witch, came to an acceptance of soul brought on by a need greater than needing to be loved, but the need to be forgiven. She found it in Dorothy, who by the way stays innocent and pure, but in more of annoying kind of way.  The irony that both the innocent and wicked deserved atonement fit in a twisted graceful way that made sense. In addition, to redemption, other themes ran through this book, ones dealing with politics, romance, animal rights, and fate vs. choice, the last one being interesting, especially when Elphaba seemed fated at birth, in the end her choices led to her final demise.
I didn’t mind the plethora of themes in the novel, and I didn’t mind being preached at by McGuire. Tolstoy was famous for his preaching in War and Peace. I also didn’t mind the plot jumps, lunging forward for sometimes years, without transition. William Faulkner wrote in past and present timelines jumping so abruptly, I often had to re-read to make sure of where I was from page to page. I still find The Sound and the Fury one of the best books I’ve ever read. Both Tolstoy and Faulkner are classic writers.
With McGuire’s analysis of the complexity of redemption with the motives and grief that goes with that, and his analysis of good vs. evil, that alone makes this feel classic classy. I found the book more than a little intriguing making me question my theory on evil almost as much as C.S. Lewis makes me.
“Evil is an act, not an appetite. How many haven’t wanted to slash the throat of some boor across the dining room table? …Everyone has an appetite. If you give into it, it, that act is evil. The appetite is normal.”
This quote also addresses the idea of choice over fate while addressing the theme of defining evil. Wicked by Gregory McGuire is worth reading. It’s not a fast read, and not one easily understood, but to use an Elphaba phrase, it’s not pigspittle, either.



No comments:

Post a Comment