Followers

Sunday, July 1, 2018

4 Stars for Sara Gruen's Water for Elephants


One critic stated they could not connect to this book; therefore, the critic found they could not connect to the characters and relationships after the protagonist, Jacob’s parents died. Further this critic lost all interest in Jacob’s life as part of the circus. The critic stated the book was well-written, but the idea did not feel compelling. It was this particular critic, who helped me sort my own feelings out towards Sara Gruen’s Water for Elephants.

The writing was strong, particularly towards the circus images showing a less glamorous side, one the audience is unaware of when they bring their families to the see the show. A couple of years ago, I went with my children to one of the last Ringling Brothers shows, and the contrast in description, note the time period differences, gave meaning to a complimentary color scheme. Mine and my children’s experience breathed breathtaking vibrant orange, while the show behind the mask in Gruen’s book cooled off to a dark, black blue hues. With that said, I can appreciate great descriptive, especially those placing the reader in time period with brutal honesty.

Despite the writing, I still could not connect to this story and this line of thinking lead me back to the reason I decided to read it in the first place, and that reasoning lead to falling in love with a protagonist who struggles against the time period’s hardships to achieve the unbending dream. I liked Jacob, but unlike characters like Lennie and George, also set against the backdrop of The Depression, the dream was missing. For Lennie and George in Steinbeck’s Of Mice and Men, there was the constant dream of owning your own farm. With the obstacles of history, where money and work to achieve this dream was anything but hopeful, these two men still hoped.

I think Gruen’s Water for Elephants was missing that thread of hope that bleeds through a novel, often making a reader think the protagonist might bleed out taking their dreams with them, and leaving the reader devastated. If Gruen could have found that thread, this book would be classic. Jacob’s love for Marlena, the romantic thread did not work simply because the reasons for falling in love seemed superficial and a matter of convenience. Perhaps more could have been placed on Rosie, the elephant the two characters loved, putting Rosie as a catalyst for their love but this connection seemed forced at best. With that said, Rosie could have been my favorite character, and I wish I had seen more of her.

I do recommend the book. It is loaded with beautiful descriptions of the truth behind the circus during the 1930’s. It also has Rosie, the elephant who needs the water of hope, because she certainly in unappreciated and thirsty for freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment