Followers

Saturday, January 8, 2022

3 Stars for The Midnight Library by Matt Haig


The Midnight Library by Matt Haig is an interesting twist on parallel universes. The idea that a different you can exist somewhere else in a better or worse life is more than intriguing, which is why I picked this book up in the first place. It is true this book makes a turn towards self-help, but for me that is not such an awful turn. In fact, it fits the premise that centers around a protagonist (Nora) who is depressed in almost all of her lives. Nora, like most of us, can be self-absorbed. In the beginning I did not like her much. Nora focused too much on regrets that did not focus on anyone but Nora. This changed when she began to incorporate the feelings of her brother rather than her own. The Midnight Librarian (God, because of the statement: "I am what I am") guides her to think about her brother's feelings alongside her own. At this point, I'm thinking Nora is on her way to receiving the kind of grace only the most humble of us deserve - not. This is where my three star rating comes in to play. Yes, this book is worth reading. Yes, it makes you ponder your own self-absorbed life, but the ending did not contain the selfless grace Nora needed to find. In the end, I enjoyed this book and read it quickly. I highly recommend it simply because I think opinions will vary and it is different in a world of books that are much the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment