Followers

Tuesday, February 16, 2021

4 Stars for A Little Hatred by Joe Abercrombie

 


This book takes a while to get into, but once you start to build some lovely love and hate relationships with the characters, you find yourself wanting to see how they turn out. Abercrombie fleshes out his characters with an underbelly of raw truth that is sometimes vulgar, but that is countered with humor. The character of Rikke made me laugh out loud several times. Rikke is not a girl to bite back how she really feels and she feels with a big dumb heart that leads her about with her nose ring. She's also witty and can dish out an insult as much as she can laugh one off. Other characters that stood out to me: Savine (I haven't decided to like her yet. She still needs to go through more dramatic change to humble her.) Leo, memorable, but I'm indifferent to him. The wolf, because I love to hate him. I also really liked Orso, because he deserved more of my sympathy than any of the characters. Beneath his wild prowess he wants to love and do right by the people. His promise means something. I recommend this book, but know it is a slow read in the beginning, but it gets better, much better. Further, if you are a Game of Thrones fan - A Little Hatred just may be your jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment