Followers

Saturday, February 23, 2019

Stephen King and Bob Dylan

For me, a good Stephen King book is like a Bob Dylan concert. Sometimes it's a Subterranean Homesick Blues night, other times it's Blowing in the Wind. Doctor Sleep was far from Blowing in the Wind. It is fast paced scare-the-bejesus out of you horror that is my kind of book. A great many things worked it in this book from plot, tone, minimal imagery allowing the reader to fill in the gaps, to characterization.

The story was told by Danny from King's first book, The Shining; however, Danny is Dan and all grown-up and ready to deal with the monsters of the past and present. Problem is Dan is a recovering alcoholic who has some of his own demons to battle first. He's not hero material and gosh I love a well-flawed character to meet a super villian. King knows how to create those. I'm thinking of Pennywise and the Master Vampire from Salem's Lot. Doctor Sleep has Rose the Hat, a seductive beauty when she's not killing and drinking the steam of the young. She has a single tooth then and a wicked appetite.

I understand The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe's White Witch is playing Rose in an upcoming movie. I can't think of a better person for the role.

I'd love to see this movie!
I highly recommend the book!

BUT.. save the movie for after. I still haven't read The Shining by King, but have watched the movie. I regret that. Always read the book first.

No comments:

Post a Comment